The main reason for using a fume cupboard is to provide a safe working environment for the operator and other laboratory personnel. The fume cupboard provides a mechanical means of capturing, diluting and exhausting all fumes, especially that which is hazardous or noxious.
Why test Fume Cupboards?
The efficiency and safety of a fume cupboard depends upon the smooth entry of air, effective containment and scavenging of fume from the chamber, its sitting with respect to air movement and laboratory ventilation, the materials used in its construction, the complete fume exhaust system, its controls and, if fitted, cleaning system and the safe and remote dispersal of fumes to the atmosphere. Testing of fume cabinets in accordance with the standard AS/NZS 2243.8 & 9 will ensure their safety and performance as well as reduce the risk of hazards.
When to test
A fume cabinet should be tested by an accredited testing laboratory when it is installed on site. Thereafter, it should be checked and maintained at 6 monthly intervals. In addition to this testing and maintenance, there may need to be a system in place whereby the operators monitor vapour concentration in the air leaving the filter to detect saturation of the adsorption filter (recirculating). A G & G Services Pty Ltd can provide professional, on-site testing and certification services for Fume Cabinets to AS 2243.8 & 9.
Typical tests performed to certify Fume Cabinets:
- Smoke test
- Face velocity test
Why use AG&G Services?
- AG&G Services Pty Ltd issues a fully documented test report and Certificate of Compliance that includes details of the test procedures and equipment (and its calibration reference) used, analysis of test data and the nature of any repairs and/or adjustments made to the equipment.
- Where appropriate we also report any recommendations we may have for future action.
- Any replacement parts installed during the testing process are selected to be at least equivalent to those specified for the original installation.
- AG&G Services Pty Ltd can help design a maintenance and test program specifically designed to ensure that your equipment operates efficiently and safely.
- AG&G Services Pty Ltd is a quality assured company with 5 NATA signatories.